March 14, 2016

Revani - Greek Cake


Well, I just noticed that most of my posts have been about baking lately. I guess that's a good indicator that I need to take it easy with all the sweet treats I have been baking and consuming.

But, for me, baking is so relaxing. When I am in the kitchen working on a recipe nothing else is on my mind, except for measuring, mixing, and creating. I can stand in the kitchen for hours and bake for a small army.

I have so many favorite treats, usually they involve chocolate, but this one is a greek dessert that usually is only made for celebrations. Revani is one of my favorite Greek cakes, I even prefer it over Baklava, yes, I know, I said it. Call the Greek Police.

Revani is like the Greek version of pound cake, but this pound cake is super moist thanks to the sweet honey/cinnamon syrup that is poured over it. I know..drool..

Ingredients
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
6 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup of fine semolina
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

For the Syrup:
3 cups water
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 or 2 cinnamon sticks
Teaspoon of lemon juice.


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and lightly grease your pan, I used a 13×9-inch pan.
  1. In a small bowl combine the flour, semolina and baking powder in a bowl and set to the side.
  2. In a large bowl combine the butter and sugar. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. 
  3. Add the eggs one at a time, beat after each one. Stir in the vanilla and begin adding the flour mixture a little at a time until just combined. Pour into baking pan.
  4. Bake at 425 degrees for about 5 minutes then lower oven to 350 degrees and bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
  5. In a saucepan, stir in all the syrup ingredients at medium, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer on low until the cake is ready.
  6. Add the hot syrup to the cake while it is warm, and a little at a time until the syrup is complete. Set aside, cool to room temperature and serve. You can also save some of the syrup if you plan on serving it later or the next day.

No comments :