July 11, 2016

How To Put Fake Eyelashes On

I recently ventured into the world of fake eyelashes. I always admired them from afar. I loved how they made people's eyes look and how they opened them up. But I have always been afraid of the whole process, it seemed daunting; the glue, what type of lashes should I use, would they look fake, and I especially worried they would come off midday.

But, I decided to give it a chance and it was so much easier then I thought it would be and I thought they looked super natural, you tell me.

So, I decided to write a little tutorial on how to apply them because it can be a little scary at first, but with a little practice you can put them on in a few minutes and they can last the entire day, and even through an intense and sweaty workout. Like running for a few miles. Yes, I tested that.
The first step is to choose the right type of eyelashes for you. There are so many different types of lashes with varying widths, lengths, some with thick or thin bands or dark and clear bands. There also different qualities of the eyelashes, some with real hair and some that synthetic fibers.  And different prices.

If this is your first time, I highly recommend Ardell Natural Eyelashes in 110,  above and below photos, these are universally flattering, very natural looking due to the varying lengths and cross hairs and the prices are reasonable for someone just starting out, like me and you.


And they have a clear and lightweight band. I bought a multi-pack from Amazon and that was a cost saver, as I estimated that it only costs about 30 cents each time I wear them.

And the next pair I recommend is Ardell's Demi Wispies, as shown below.

Ardell Demi Wispies have more lashes, little more length and curl, which is what I am wearing in the above photo.


Next, you will need glue. I use Duo, you can get it in dark tone or white/clear. I have used the dark tone as I was told it would dry dark and blend into my dark eyeliner and while it does dry dark, I have found that when it dries, it dries with a shine to it, but when I use the Duo in white, it comes out white, but it dries very clear. So for me, Duo in white/clear has worked well.


Pull the eyelashes out of the container, face them this way, so you know which ones goes on the left eye and which one goes on the right eye. Yes, this is a step, because I accidentally put the right one on the left and vice versa. You will know which ones goes on which eye but the length of the fake eyelash. The front end should be shorter to blend in with your natural short eyelashes that are at the beginning of your eye.

Some people trim the lashes if the lash band is longer than their eye length, but I have not needed to do this with these Ardell ones.

Add a very thin line of eyeliner to the top of the eyelashes. If your natural eyelashes are not curled, I first recommend slightly curling them, and then applying a very light coat of mascara and let it dry. This will help the fake eyelashes grip on.


Next, put a very thin line of glue on the eyelash band. 


If you have a heavy hand and think you will put too much glue, I recommend putting a dab of glue on a Q-tip and then adding a line of glue on the lash. I add a little extra to the end and beginning of the eyelash tips.


Next, wait about 25-30 seconds after applying the glue. You want to let it dry a bit so that the glue becomes tacky. The tackiness will give it staying power once you apply it.

Once you have waited for a few moments, using your fingers or a tweezer apply the eyelash to the center or your eyelid and pressing down. Next, apply it to the beginning and the end. Keep pressing them into the eyelash line, you want to make sure that there is a secure hold. I like my eyelash to begin a few lashes after my natural eyelashes start.

I especially press down on the beginning and end of eyelash, these are the two points that might come off during the day, this is why I added a little extra glue two the two end pieces.

You want it as close to your natural eyelash line as possible.



If you notice any glue I simply lightly wet a q-tip and clean up any areas.

The first few times, you might not get it down. You will improve with practice.


The above photos show how it looks like on right after the glue has dried and they are secured on. 

I have read and seen videos that it is recommended to apply all your make-up before putting on the eyelashes, but I have better results doing it after. The reason is if I get a little glue above and on my eyelid the glue adheres to my eyeshadow and eyeliner and if I try to remove the glue the eyeshadow is removed too, so I put the eyeshadow on after. I do prep my lids with a eyeshadow primer from Urban Decay ahead of time.

Next, I apply more eyeliner and black eyeshadow to blend the eyelash band in more. 


I have two favorite eyeliners, one is from the Pharmacy and only costs about $3.00, which is NYC Black Eyeliner and I love Kat Von D's Tattoo Eyeliner, which is available at Sephora for about $19.00.


I apply black eyeshadow over my eyeliner as it really gives it staying power and I like the smokey eyeliner look. And then I curl the eyelashes and my lashes, so it all blends together. You can apply a little mascara, but I don't even feel like I need to with these.


My goal is to make them look as real as possible and to do that you need: 
1.  Fake eyelashes that look real 
2. Applying them as close to your natural eyelash line as possible
3. Using an eyeliner to blend the fake eyelash band.


Note: Please ignore my eyebrows, I am in the process of growing them in, so they are a bit of a mess.

I am able to get about 5-6 uses out of these eyelashes. When it's time to remove them at night, I usually can just gently pull them off slowly and they come right off, but sometimes I need a little help from my makeup remover which I will add with a Q-tip or I use these Almay Makeup remover pads.

I then use those pads to clean the fake eyelashes off and remove the peel any glue from the band. I then brush them and put them back into the original container.

I hope this has been helpful. Enjoy and i hope you have fun.

1 comment :

Crystal said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial on how to put these on. I keep finding videos, but not upclose shots that really show step by step. I really like those demi wispies because they look so natural and not super fake. I might try these.